THE SCARY SIDE OF MOTHERHOOD


The day I gave birth to my sweet little girl, I was filled with so many overpowering emotions. I was intensely happy of course, but there was also a little bit of fear. 

I'm positive every mother has experienced this feeling at some point in their child's life. 
I worried about keeping her safe. There are so many dangers in the world, and when I first looked into my daughter's big hazel eyes, I felt an intense sense of responsibility to keep her from any harm. "I will take care of you, I will keep you safe" I promised her. 

What I didn't realize at the time was that despite how hard I might try to protect her, bad things can still happen, and that is the truly scary part.
Before I worry anyone, Lilah is fine, thank God. I just had a little scare yesterday that I thought I would talk about because I need to vent about it, and because by doing so I can bring some awareness to a danger that many people might not think about much.

Yesterday, Lilah was sitting in the middle of the living room floor like usual. My husband was heading out the door to go to work, and as I was saying bye to him, I noticed my daughter chewing on something. I had just given her a snack so I didn't think too much of it, but I still decided to check to make sure that it was actually food she was eating. 

After I asked her what she was eating, much to my horror she spit out a very small button battery. 

Needless to say I freaked out.

I had just read terrifying articles not too long ago about the dangers that button batteries can present to young children, and I was determined not to let them get anywhere near her. Yet, there she was, CHEWING on one with me clueless as to where she got it from. I am so happy that she didn't swallow it. I don't know if I would have even realized that she had swallowed something harmful until it was too late. 

I was still very concerned that she had possibly swallowed one already before the one she was chewing. Long story short, I ended up taking her for an x-ray after the incident to be positive that her esophagus and tummy were button battery free. Good news- they were! 

We definitely dodged a serious bullet. I think about what could have happened if she had swallowed it without my realizing, and it is terrifying. I am so thankful that she was able to avoid any harm. I am feeling truly blessed and grateful for her being okay today. 

However, many children are not so lucky, and are seriously injured from swallowing button batteries each year. They are surprisingly extremely dangerous, and are found in so many common things around the house. Once swallowed, the Lithium in the batteries react with saliva and create a circuit that has the potential to cause serious burns and holes in the esophagus and stomach in as little as two hours. Scary, right?

 I know this was a serious post, which is not something I do too often, but I thought I would share the story of my first real scare as a mom to spread some awareness of the dangers button batteries present. Sure, people could use this story against me to call me a bad mom for not watching my child every second of the day, but this really could happen to anyone, and if sharing my experience can help prevent any child harm, it will have been very worth it to talk about it. 


Hug your babies tight for me today, and stay tuned for more posts soon! 


      post signature

2 comments

  1. This must have been SO scary for you. Just glad she's ok.
    I know exactly what you mean though. You try to hardest to protect them for every little thing, but you just can't all the time :(
    I will go hug my babies!! :)
    Sarah xxx
    www.whimsicalmumblings.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was really scary! I am very grateful that everything turned out okay. And yes, exactly! Thanks for your response (: xx

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Being Heather. Design by Fearne.